Across its properties in Sri Lanka and the Maldives, Cinnamon Hotels & Resorts is committed to positive action when it comes to environmental conservation by instilling it into its DNA.
The ‘Cinnamon Rainforest Restoration Project’ in collaboration with Ruk Rakaganno (The Tree Society of Sri Lanka), Forest Department-Sri Lanka, and John Keells Foundation aims to restore a deteriorated 50-acre plot over a period of three years after which nature will take over the regeneration process.
Here are 5 facts about the Cinnamon Rainforest Restoration Project:
1. Restoring and reforesting this 50-acre site will further enrich the ecological significance of the region which also consists of numerous waterfalls and places of cultural and religious significance. Restoring and reforesting this 50-acre site will further enrich the ecological significance of the region which also consists of numerous waterfalls and places of cultural and religious significance.
2. The rate of loss of green cover during the past 50 years is unprecedented in human history and World Environment Day is one of the largest movements for the environment. This year’s theme,“Only One Earth”, which was also its motto for its 1972 conference, reflects the need to live sustainably in harmony with nature.
3. Likewise, Cinnamon Hotels & Resorts is propagating a shift towards a greener lifestyle through policies and individual choices. The Cinnamon Rain Forest Restoration Project provides a role model for working with nature rather than against it.The 50-acre site is situated in the Ratnapura District, at a proximity of 3.5 kilometers from the biodiversity hotspot and UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Sinharaja Forest Reserve, one of the few virgin forests left in the world.
4. Interested guests from Cinnamon properties will be escorted by a trained naturalist guide to the site while encouraging them to adopt some trees. In time to come, the project also anticipates attracting environment lovers and students.
5. Natural systems are vital for our future. Nature not only provides us with food, water, clean air but it is also one of our strongest allies against the climate crisis. This World Environment Day, Cinnamon Hotels & Resorts reflected on this initiative and placed a spotlight on this cause.