Eco-friendly travel has taken an upward trend with more and more travelers being cautious about the environment and good practices. Cinnamon Hotels & Resorts, as a value-led brand, pays great emphasis on sustainability efforts and go-green practices.
Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, a property managed by Cinnamon Hotels and Resorts, has taken a number of measures to promote sustainability and go-green initiatives within the resort in order to reduce the harmful impact on the environment.
1. Among the efforts, the Beach Bag initiative has taken great prominence as a simple innovation and a piece of accessory to have while enjoying the turquoise blue waters and white grains of sand.
2. The resort has initiated several projects in bid to lessen the usage of plastic and other harmful material on property. The Beach Bag initiative is one such sustainability initiative. As such, all damaged umbrellas placed in individual rooms and collected, and the in-house tailor converts the canopy of these damaged umbrellas to beach bags. These special, waterproof beach bags are then sold on property.
3. Aluminum drinking water bottles are purchased from all proceeds of sale and these water bottles are donated to children of various inhabited island in the Maldives. The aluminum water bottles are an eco-friendly alternative to plastic bottles and these efforts have reduced the usage of single-use plastic bottles as well as the disposal of damaged umbrellas.
4. In addition to the Beach Bag initiative, Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon has launched several other sustainability projects including the ‘Farm to Plate’ initiative, an organic vegetable farm which focuses on producing fresh fruits and vegetables within the property.
5. Placement of several artificial Reef Cubes made from crushed glass to increase fish population around the property, solar power initiatives, reduction of Carbon Dioxide emission and water saving initiatives are the other initiatives being undertaken.
At Cinnamon, sustainability is a way of life and an ongoing pledge, and all properties in the Maldives are committed to carry out sustainability efforts focusing on several key aspects in order to protect Mother Nature.